The purpose of the Renters Council is to act as a driving force in the development of a tenants’ rights and protections agenda within the California Democratic Party for the benefit of the 18 million Californian renters.
The Council shall promote policy and legislation consistent with our principles and support those Democratic Party office holders and officials proposing and carrying out such policies.
2023 Renters Council General Membership Meeting
Sunday, May 21, 7-9pm
Watch the recording here!
Video Recording Table of Contents
0:35 State Senator Aisha Wahab - Legislation on reporting of evictions (SB395), Costa-Hawkins reform to allow cities to expand rent control (SB466), and Social Housing (SB555)
14:15 Approval of Agenda and Minutes
15:50 Secretary's Report
16:59 Treasurer's Report
18:05 Northern California Updates
- Unincorporated Alameda County tenant protections 19:38
- Sacramento Tenant Anti-Harassment ordinances 27:15
- Jackie Elward, candidate for State Senate D3 33:02
- Fairfax Rent Control 38:10
46:11 State Senator Maria Elena Durazo - SB567 Homelessness Prevention Act, closing eviction loopholes and strengthening enforcement of tenant protections and rent cap
52:30 Central California Updates
- RentersVote outreach, GOTV Campaign, and Texting Action 56:45
- Central Coast updates, Monterey and Salinas rent registry, upcoming tenant protection campaign 1:00:06
- Tulare County tenant harassment issues 1:08:45
1:11:11 Legislation Update from Housing Now: SB567, SB225 (Preserving affordability in existing housing), SB555, ACA10 (Housing as a constitutional right)
1:25:50 Attorney General Rob Bonta - Enforcement of tenant protection and housing production laws
1:32:55 Tenant harassment issues facing indigenous farmworkers in Central Valley
1:40:15 SoCal Updates
- Cudahy tenant protection ordinance 1:40:42
- The fight against Renovictions 1:41:11
- South Pasadena temporary eviction moratorium 1:41:59
- Keep LA Housed tenant bill of rights 1:43:08
- Inclusionary Zoning in LA 1:45:12
- Barrington Plaza renoviction and misuse of Ellis Act 1:46:20
1:49:54 National lobbying efforts for public housing
1:54:01 Justice for Tenants ballot measure (Costa Hawkins repeal)
1:58:30 Ballot measure to make it easier to pass affordable housing bonds
2:01:37 Right to form tenant union ordinances
2:03:53 Transparency of LLC ownership legislation to enforce housing codes
2:07:44 Solar on multifamily housing
2:12:13 2023-2025 Board member introductions
2023 Priority Legislation
SB 567 (Durazo): Homelessness Prevention Act. Strengthening enforcement of statewide tenant protections.
SB 225 (Caballero): Community Anti-Displacement & Preservation Program. Funding for nonprofits to purchase existing buildings and keep rents low.
SB 555 (Wahab): Social Housing Act. Low-cost housing for low and moderate income Californians.
ACA 10 (Haney): Authorizes ballot measure to make housing a human right in the California Constitution.
AB 671 (Ward): Accesory Dwelling Units for low and very low income Californians.
AB 1418 (McKinnor): Repeals racist local ordinances such as those that evict or ban tenants who have been arrested, even if they were found to be not guilty.
SB 584 (Limón): Tax on short term rentals (airbnb’s) to fund low and moderate income housing.
SB 355 (Eggman): Affordable Housing Solar Roofs Program.
SB 466 (Wahab): Allow cities to expand rent control to newer buildings at least 28 years old.
Other Priorities (Issues we’re supporting that are now 2-year bills)
- Rental Registries / Transparency of Property Ownership
- Tenant Opportunity to Purchase when buildings are sold
- Stronger Enforcement of Fair Housing Laws
- Mobilehome Rent Caps(Issues we’re supporting that are now 2-year bills)